GARRYS WITTY WITTY forum
March 28, 2024, 12:47:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

A experiment

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A experiment  (Read 1886 times)
GarryRicketson
Admin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: July 08, 2011, 10:40:47 pm »

This is a experiment:
try this link
Edit: I removed this link, it was just localhost I was experimenting with something
ok
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:52:31 pm by GarryRicketson » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Schmoo1980

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 01:41:55 am »

Garry,

Localhost is only accessible from your computer. Its basically a connection to your computer. If you want others to be able to connect to your system (network, server, etc) you will first need to open the appropriate ports on your router (if you have one) and then make sure your server is listening on that port to allow outsiders to access your system and pull up the webpage. HOWEVER, this will allow your system to become vulnerable to attacks and unless you are setting up a specific server and configuring your network accordingly (appropriate hardware firewalls) I wouldn't advise you to open said ports. If you are hosting this system elsewhere then you need not worry about having anything open. Just point a link to the web address provided by your host. If you have any questions about any of this please post them. I have played around with setting up servers for phpbb myself. I just never put them up to go live because I would have to compromise my networks security.

Good luck,

Schmoo
Report Spam   Logged
GarryRicketson
Admin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 06:48:35 am »

Hello Scmoo
   If you have any questions about any of this please post them.
Good to see you again, Thst interesting, that you have also "played" around with PHBB, I did not know that , nor that have any interest in that.
 I know that localhost is supposed to be only accessable, from my computer,
 I just recently, installed this Apache,
+ Apache 2.2.17
  + MySQL 5.5.8 (Community Server)
  + PHP 5.3.5 (VC6 X86 32bit) + PEAR
  + XAMPP Control Version 2.5 nat32.com
----------------
and the phbb, So that I can start learning more about working with php scripts,etc.
 I don't plan on stting it up ( my computer ) as a real server, this was just so I can work with the scripts offline.  On the link I posted, I can connect, from here, but of course, that is cause it is my computer, (localhost). My concern was if by chance I stiil had the server running, ( as a localhost ), could someone else also conect ?  I don't think so , but some time, if I happen to catch some one whom is online at the same time, to try it,...So, that was my intention, you should not be able to connect with that link,..even if my computer is on, and I have XAMPP running,...
 I don't have a router, and no I don't want to open any ports, that would allow someone to connect.
-------------------------------------
You may have already seen this: http://creativeminds.webege.com/phpBB3/index.php
It is where I also have installed phpbb,..but on a real host,...the same ,mostly for experimenting, but I like the software (PHPBB3 ) also the host, I kind of regret I did not know about them, when I started this forum, and also the weekly lessons one,..
 The phbpp seems to have some pretty good forums, for questions, support, etc,but also I am glad to hear you know something about this,...and I can ask any qusetions,...I will be psoting here, as I go on this,..
thanks again for stopping by
from Garry
Edit: the PHPbb forums:
 http://www.phpBB.com
http://www.phpbb.com/community

« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 07:30:06 am by GarryRicketson » Report Spam   Logged

Schmoo1980

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 02:11:45 pm »

Garry,

Sorry if I came across a bit harsh. I was just worried that you may have left yourself open to an attack. If anyone tries connecting to a link with "localhost" in it then it will most likely look on their own system for the link. Therefore you will be fine if you are just working offline. I haven't messed much with PhP scripts but it is something that interests me. I have wanted to make a web interface type program using a web language (probably PhP) that would be able to manipulate database information. Manipulate such as add new information, edit old information, etc. Once I figure out how to connect to a database and add, edit, remove information then I just have to figure out how to display it and I'm good. lol Sounds simple in theory.

Good luck and share your knowledge please. I'm interested.

Schmoo
Report Spam   Logged
GarryRicketson
Admin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 05:27:04 pm »

Schmoo, ok, no you didn't sound harsh, and not knowing if I knew that about localhost or not, it is a good "warning",...
 I don't know if you have tried this Apache, and in my previous post I did not have the link,...
    http://httpd.apache.org
It is pretty complicated,..at least to me,..There is a lot I do not understand
  I have wanted to make a web interface type program using a web language (probably PhP) that would be able to manipulate database information. Manipulate such as add new information, edit old information, etc. Once I figure out how to connect to a database and add, edit, remove information then I just have to figure out how to display it and I'm good. lol Sounds simple in theory. 
http://www.000webhost.com
http://creativeminds.webege.com
http://creativeminds.webege.com/phpBB3/index.php
 This 00webhost, dose give you the access, and the editors, to access your PHPbb data nases, and add or edit any of the scripts, etc. Which is why I decided to use them, this will give me the opportunity to explore this more,..
  I have a very poor (slow) internet connection, so it is not very convienent to try editing any data bases, and/or the html docs, online, plus if the connection "fails", even just second, I have to start over, I lose any changes I made,..
 So that led to me asking around , about a program, that would allow me to work off line, and someone suggested APache, ...So I can run and test any scripts, quickly off line,..if I like what I have, then I can upload it quickly, to the " real " data base, at 000webhost,...They are freehosting,...but do offer even better hosting, if paid,...
 It took a while to get the account started, and a draw back, is they offer no support to the "free" accounts, they recommend anyone useing a free account, know what they are doing, as there is no support, but they do have a good forum, where one can get help, it just may take awhile to get a response,.....
 That about all I can say now, but it seems like a good route, for anyone wanting to learn about this stuff and explore it,...
 Of course, makeing your own program,...but that would be way above my head,..I am stuck with useing software (open source),..that they provide,..or I can find,...makeing ones own program would be a whole different ball game !
 Guess thats about it for now,
from Garry

Report Spam   Logged

Schmoo1980

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 09:18:24 pm »

Garry,

My suggestion is if you have an extra system sitting around (some do and some don't), even an older system that runs slower. Trying installing LinuxMint or Ubuntu (Linux operating systems) and then look up instructions on installing LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PhP). Its the easiest way to play with stuff offline. Then you upload your databases from MySQL to your online stuff and then your physical files under Apache to your online system and it will go live. Now saying that is much simpler than doing it but it is how MOST people work with their databases and files offline.

LinuxMint - http://www.linuxmint.com
Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com
LAMP - http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_lamp_for_newbies

If you have any questions then please share them. I have played with this setup and have some knowledge of it.

As a note you may understand that once you download LinuxMint or Ubuntu you can use PowerISO to burn it to a disc and keep it around in case you need to reinstall (I have reinstalled many times once I screw up a setup). You can install LinuxMint or Ubuntu like a program under Windows and when you start your system up it will give you a boot option and ask you which operating system you want to start: Windows or LinuxMint (or) Ubuntu. Then if you ever need to uninstall it you just uninstall it from Windows like you would any other program. Its an interesting way to run it and very useful for those that don't have an extra computer or don't want to switch operating systems permanently.

Best wishes,

Schmoo

If you have any questions please post them Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
GarryRicketson
Admin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 10:14:09 pm »

Schmoo,
 Ok, thats interesting,...I have a laptop I don't use that much,...I have seen ubanto mentioned quit often, but never worked with it,..linux I had tried,installing
on this computer once ,some time ago,...and got into trouble, lost windows, and never could get it to boot, from linux either,...But, I see the site you list, is different, form the one where I had gotten  linux, so I am going to check it out again,...
 I used to be more or less familiar with the unix commands, and have noticed a lot of similarity with linux,..
 Originally I had wanted to set this computer up, with DOS, Windows, and linux,..
but like I said never was able to install the linux,..but I did not know about the ,ubunto. I have a boot manager, XOSL, that I use for either Dos, or windows,..
 On the laptop, I could not install XOSL, and it is useing Grub for Dos, but there is alot I don't like about the way the laptop is configured,..so that would be my choice, for which machine I use to try this,...if I mess everything up it is ok, as I have been thinking about trying to re-configure it for some time.
 How ever the problem with the laptop is it has no CD (disk drive), I would have to install everything , via USB, I do have a "portable" USB , CD/DVD unit, which also can "burn" CDs/DVDS, also this computer, I can make the CD, I do have power ISO,...so that should not be any problem.....but sometimes it is, Ie: with XOSL, I couldn't install it via USB, useing the USB CD driver.... So like you said, it dose sound simpler, then actually doing it
 But I am interested in trying this again with linux, so I do appreciate the links, and also, if I have any questions, I can ask you, before I did not know anyone to ask,  guess thats about it for now,
from Garry and thanks
Report Spam   Logged

Schmoo1980

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 12:31:28 pm »

Garry,

From my experience Ubuntu is good and fairly user friendly. LinuxMint 10 is very user friendly. I use the 32 bit version of LinuxMint 10 for now. LinuxMint 11 is on the way. http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=69
It uses the Gnome interface system which is similar to how Windows looks and feels. You can download and burn a version and try it out.

I prefer LinuxMint over Ubuntu but I can use either one.

Good luck,

Schmoo
Report Spam   Logged
GarryRicketson
Admin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 09:49:41 pm »

I use the 32 bit version of LinuxMint 10   
Ok thanks Schmoo, I was going to ask about that, I went to the LinixMint site, and there are so many versiones, I was not sure which one I should use,I guess it dose not matter that much, since it is a separate OS, but if it is unde windows, there might be different versions, for the various windows,..I was to tired to read everything they had to say on the LinuxMint site,...
... I have Windows Xp, on both computers,..from 2008, it is a service pack (professional) edition,...It was installed by a friend at the interenet cafe, so it has all his "permissions", license, etc....I assume it is legal,...but then I am not a lawyer, I don't usuully pay much attention to that stuff, and thats a different subject,
he did make me a installation CD,..so in case I "goof up", and it is the middle of the night,...I can re-install, ....This all came about, because every couple of days, I would show up with my laptop, , I could always get it to boot with DOS, but lost windows, several times,...and the laptop did not come with any installation disks,..it did have a way, to reinstall "online", but at the time I had no internet connection,  ...Then I also "bought" this computer from him, it is older, and he had the install CD, for windows, this computer. It was all trade, allthough he runs a internet cafe, he knew nothing about DOS, nor web design, and wanted to set up a web site, for his internet cafe,...so I helped him on that.
 Well sorry I really drifted off subject,...
I need to fix dinner, thanks again, see you later I hope,..
from Garry
Report Spam   Logged

GarryRicketson
Admin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 09:21:37 pm »

This is a experiment:
try this link
http://localhost/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=2
ok
Now we have a real link: Try this one,...
http://creativeminds.webege.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13
 I also wonder which method, people prefer, on the links,..the above
or
TRY THIS LINK please,....let me know which method is better (easier to use),...on the one hand, the first, shows the URL, the other simply says try this link but the user would need to right click the mouse, and select "view url" (somethin like that), to see what the url is,... Both of these are the same link.
from Garry
Report Spam   Logged

EGMono

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 05:16:17 pm »

Hey Garry!

Both "TRY THIS LINK" and the "http://..." links both lead to the same place, different browsers show them differently. For example on the browser on my phone when I told it I wanted to open the link in a new window it used the url as a title for the dialog box "Open in new window?" Same url for both links, so same title. Some browsers show the link url in the status bar at the bottom when you mouseover it, others won't.

-E.G.   
Report Spam   Logged
GarryRicketson
Admin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 06:55:59 pm »

Egomono, Ok thanks,
Yes thats correct, they both are the same,..
Also welcome to the forum,..
from Garry
 Actually what I was asking, is what people prefer, the entire URL written out,..
or just a higlighted/color "clickable" word or words.
from Garry
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum