GARRYS WITTY WITTY forum
March 28, 2024, 06:52:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to SMF For Free

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

Giveing up

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Giveing up  (Read 1319 times)
GarryRicketson
Admin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2011, 12:28:13 am »

Usually I hate to "give up", but sometimes it is better, to let something go, then keep struggleing, with some thing you are never going to be able to do well, ...
This is the case in trying to learn about prgramming. All though I have been able to grasp some real basic stuff, useing qbasic, and qb64 ---that as far as I seem to be able to go, the most basic stuff. And it is to embarrassing to ask questions,..because they are always "stupid",...or eflect how little I really know. There are lots of tutorials and stuff on prgramming, and I am going to add a category, for that to this forum where I will also list links to some tutorials, etc...
This is for those that are interested in that,...but I have pretty much given up on the idea of being any kind of "programmer".
   I will always enjoy fooling around with what little I do know, but as far as posting, or asking questions, on any "programming forums", I give up,...they are all into such advanced codeing, that none of what they talk about makes sense to me, and besides, with nothing more then a 4th grade math level,..if anything I need to study on math,..first,..this "codeing" is for people with college educations, not for "flunkies" or drop outs like me.  I best stick with the things I know a little about.
From Garry
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

659_minifly
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 03:10:05 am »

Hi Garry
excuse me but I think your are wrong . Programming is a game for me i don't need grad math or programmeur skill hight.
I am happy with my grid program there is no fancy programming in it just a small logic but that help me to keept my brain working ( my two cells into my brain )  Cheesy and you can play by programming when i am programming i forgot all others things ( bad things ). I'have been sick too much and too long. I restarting programming after 12 or more years, when i went to a bingo ( lotto ) and i win the second priz with 1.5 euro and it was a computer
so with that new computer i don't know what to do. And i try to relearnt proramming i know i will never be as good as was before, but it is sufficient for me. I do it for fun. And also permit me to met other great peoples  some other are dummy . But this is the world. And you must do what you like at the time you like. But i really hoppe that your are not leaving any forum.
Pat
Report Spam   Logged
GarryRicketson
Admin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 09:32:30 am »

But i really hoppe that your are not leaving any forum.
No this dose not mean I am leaveing anywhere,...And I will always enjoy,
I will always enjoy fooling around with what little I do know

Like I said,...
 Sounds sort of like me on the computer, except that, what happened, my Boss notced I seemed to have a lot of interest, so he bough a small laptop, for me,..but with the understanding , that I would make "payments", by working over time and also doing some stuff for a web site for the company.
 But I do feel I can have more "fun" sticking with animations, web web sites, artwork,..these are things I know more about.
 Of course, thats how it is, to be "fun"
  And you must do what you like at the time you like 
and maybe next week I will feel differently,...!
thanks for the feed back,
from Garry
Report Spam   Logged

Schmoo1980

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 05:32:38 pm »

Garry,

Honestly my math sucks as well. I too get tired of dealing with people WAY above my thought process. I like programming small things that make sense to me. I hope that maybe you will continue to post your programming stuff here on your own forum. I would like to be a part of that. I don't have much time but I do like to make little programs. My current project is similar to Unseen's VQB project. Its a simple to use GUI that you can create windows, buttons, etc with. Its basically will handle creating the items, as well as checking created items for errors or out of bounds values (numbers that will case the item to show up outside the window border), and it will also control the movement of items (such as clicking a button, resizing a window, etc). Its been on going and VERY slowly coming together. Anyways. I feel your frustration however I believe the enjoyment for programming comes from grasping all the knowledge that you currently have and use it until you can fully understand it. Then add one thing at a time. I have rewritten my GUI project like 12 times from scratch because I keep learning new ways to do things. I hope you don't give up and continue to post things up here.

As something that might be useful to others and fun for you to do I have an idea. You could create a few sprite sheets of various items. Tiles of ground textures, buildings, etc for use with games. Various sized tiles with more and less detail depending on what is needed. It should stay pretty general but I know that game developers are most often looking for graphics for games.

Good luck to ya and don't give up,

Schmoo
Report Spam   Logged
GarryRicketson
Admin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 11:27:16 pm »

Ok Schmoo, also Minifly thanks on the encouragement,...
 I guess that what happens, is it can get frustrateing, and that is a good sign, to take a break from it,...Which was part of what inspired me to start this forum,...
 And all though I appreciate very much, the help that is offered on the "programming" forums,...I still don't understand most of what some people show me, but then I fell, like either, I will hurt their feelings, if I admit, that I simpley don't understand, or also I worry about what others will say, .....But after all said and done, I enjoy it,  and even more when I concentrate, like you said on useing what I do know, and makeing "programs" that please me,...and stop worrying about what others may think,...
 Yea on the sprite sheets, that is a good idea,...but to be honest, that is something I am haveing alot of trouble with,...partly because I am trying to "break away" from what is considered tradional or standard,...this leads into alot of the code, that is used for the "standard ways of doing it, dose not work very well, with some of the things I am trying to do,...and the the problem is compounded by my inability to explain very well what I have in mind,often,...
Sometimes I don't even really know exactly what it is I have in mind, I just have to try things and see what it looks like,and what happens,..
hmm guess thats about all for now,...
from Garry
Report Spam   Logged

Schmoo1980

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 05:47:52 pm »

Garry,

You sound a lot like I did when I really started getting into programming. Although my abilities have only slightly improved in the last ten years. I still get frustrated at wanting to do certain things and not knowing how to explain to someone what I am trying to do makes it even more frustrating. However, I encourage you to read up on anything that interests you. Play with other peoples code. I will tell you sometimes when I don't understand what a line of code does I will simply change a value and run the program to see what happens. Its amazing what that little trick can teach you. Smiley Anyways, study, play, and generally do what you want to do. If a break is what you need then that my friend is what you need to do. Honestly, I watch this forum daily to see if there are new posts. If you have something programming wise to talk about just post it. I would be proud to learn along with you as my abilities are also limited but I am good at finding answers. I also get intrigued at what you can do if you put a little thought and a few lines of code together. Trust me... your programming is a bit more than mine. I can also probably point you in the direction of some good tutorials if you are interested. Just let me know.

Good luck on your break and be well,

Schmoo
Report Spam   Logged
Quark

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 01:55:08 am »

Hi,

I bet there are a lot of us who can relate to this thread.  Life can be tough, and sometimes the simple pleasures seem few and far between.  In programming in any language, there are always a small number of people who operate at a high level of expertise, often because they are of course smart, but often they got really good training in the right set of thought "tools" and how to use them.  The rest of us often flounder around trying to get something interesting done.

Well, no criticism of the top-level people -- they are often very generous with their time and knowledge.  But sometimes they don't have as much fun as we lower-level types. And, sometimes we outperform them in areas of feeling and intuition -- our programs can be a lot more fun than theirs.  And there are lots of people willing to help each other who are not further advanced -- no one knows everything about anything.

As for you, Garry, it is the ideas that count in programming, and you have the imagination for those.  Onward!

--Quark
Report Spam   Logged
GarryRicketson
Admin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 07:55:10 pm »

Well Thank Quark,...

As for you, Garry, it is the ideas that count in programming, and you have the imagination for those.  Onward!

--Quark

If I can learn to express those ideas better,..or sometimes it seems like the only way to express them is learn enough code, to at least give a ruff idea of what I have in mind,... Any way glad to see you here,..I am wondering if you recieved a automaticly generated welcome message in the PM, if not I need to work on that,...?
from Garry
Edited: spelling error
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 10:46:30 pm by GarryRicketson » Report Spam   Logged

EGMono

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 08:44:57 am »

I gave up on a programming career a long time ago. Now I just toy with code for fun!

I would say that at every level there will be concepts that really throw you off but not to be discouraged because there will be a different way that will be successful. Also don't stop asking questions, everybody had to start off somewhere.
Report Spam   Logged
GarryRicketson
Admin
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 11:03:57 pm »

I gave up on a programming career a long time ago. Now I just toy with code for fun!
Thats the key word "FUN",.. all of this is supposed to be "fun",...for me, it is my hobbie,...
 When it starts to be more like work, well ok, maybe not give up, but it is a good time to maybe, take a "break",...
 Ha!,...lately, the "spammers", have taken the "fun" out of experimenting, and working with the new forum ,http://creativeminds.webege.com/phpBB3/index.php
 I think it is from "yahoo answers",  I had posted a lot of answers, and the URL, in the "source", or in my answer, and I guess now the spam bots, are picking up on them,...I had hoped to generate activity, and it did, but that was not the kind of activity I had in mind. So at this point every day, I am have to spend half an hour or a hour, going thru the "activation requests",...99% are spammers, but for the sake of the 1% percent that may be someone seriously interested in joining and participateing,..I need to check them all,..
anyway guess thats about it for now,
from Garry
P.S, Now I understand why so many forums, are so hard to register, for the first time, they have to be "strict",..or they would be over run by spam,..
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
Free SMF Hosting - Create your own Forum